17thchief

Sarting a new job can be hard, especially when you start out as the boss.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States

I just started a new job where I'm immediately everyone's boss. There's a lot of resentment in the air. It's kind of uncomfortable coming to work everyday. I wish Stevens would stop giving me dirty looks.

Monday, October 17, 2005

THE COLOR OF MONEY

Today was the justices’ payday. At our noon recess, they all ran down to human resources, nearly knocking each other over in excitement. They got into a single-file line, and were each given their paychecks. Because I’m new, and wasn’t in the last pay cycle, I didn’t get a check. This seemed to make the other justices happy, judging by the way they stared at me while holding up their checks and smiling.

The excited group of fools all left the building at once. They cheerfully ran down all the steps of the Supreme Court building, sometimes jumping down several steps at one time (not Justice Stevens). I peered outside to see where they were going. They all walked down the road to the nearby bank to cash their checks. They looked silly scampering down the street in their black robes, but I still felt envious.

When they returned, they taunted me with their wads of cash. Justice Scalia showed off his “roll” of money. He said that he always keeps his money in a roll, with the highest bills on top, “just like a gangster,” he said. Some of the other justices took to counting their money in front of me as they stared me in the eyes. By this point, I had gotten the point. They had gotten paid, and I hadn’t, so what? I let the others know that it didn’t bother me because I have over three hundred dollars in the bank, and all my bills were already paid. They just laughed at me and walked away.

I tried not to let them bother me as we were giving an abortion-related ruling today, the first in my tenure. It seems the state of Missouri was trying to stop a female prisoner from being transported to a Planned Parenthood office in St. Louis to have an abortion. What struck me very odd about this case was that the petitioner’s name was Jane Roe. If my mind serves me right, that was the woman that started all of this abortion mess back in 1973. Surely she’s too old to get pregnant by now! And why is she in prison?

During a break, it was explained to me that it was a bogus name used to protect the identity of the woman, kind of like using John Doe for an anonymous man. Oh, O.K., I get it now, except that I knew a John Doe when I was growing up. That was his real name, though.

Until later,
John Roberts, #17

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Pessoa said...

Please don't give up your blog. I've been telling people about it and I look like a jerk when you don't post! ;)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home